The name of one of the chapters of Pat Buchannan's new book "Suicide of a Superpower" is called "The End of White America". What is the chapter about?
One of the chapters is entitled "The End Of White America." Hannity said that Buchanan labels white Americans as an "endangered species" in the book... "America is going to look very much like California right now," Buchanan said, going on to paint a very gloomy picture of the state (bankruptcy, a "black-brown war among the underclass," and so on), and claiming that, in Los Angeles, "half the people there don't speak English in their own homes."
Buchanan said that the people of color in California "are not bad or evil people," but that they are bankrupting the state. He concluded, "What happens when all of America is like that, when every American city is like LA? ...What California is today, America is in 2041 if we don't change course."
Nothing like some good ol' racism to stir up the Republican base on Fox News. What does this entail?
(1) White people are better than brown or black people.***
(2) English is a superior language, and only spoken by white people; the superior race.
(3) Black and brown people are leeches, living off the welfare of the government; a.k.a. welfare queens.
(4) Black and brown people are violent, and engage in violence instead of hard work.
Now it's no surprise coming from Pat Buchanan, with his history of racism:
(1) "I think the African American community has embraced Great Society liberalism which has been devastating for the African American family... they bought a lot of liberal propaganda on the liberal plantation"
(2) On the civil rights movement - "There were no politics to polarize us then, to magnify every slight. The 'negroes' of Washington had their public schools, restaurants, bars, movie houses, playgrounds and churches; and we had ours."
(3) On Apartheid South Africa - "White rule of a black majority is inherently wrong. Where did we get that idea? The Founding Fathers did not believe this."
(4) On Christianity - "Our culture is superior. Our culture is superior because our religion is Christianity and that is the truth that makes men free."
(5) On Hitler and the Holocaust - "Hitler was an individual of great courage.... Hitler's success was not based on his extraordinary gifts alone. His genius was an intuitive sense of the mushiness, the character flaws, the weakness masquerading as morality that was in the hearts of the statesmen who stood in his path."
(6) On homosexuality - "The poor homosexuals -- they have declared war upon nature, and now nature is extracting an awful retribution (AIDS)."
(7) On women - "The real liberators of American women were not the feminist noise-makers, they were the automobile, the supermarket, the shopping center, the dishwasher, the washer-dryer, the freezer."
Notice a trend here?
So what consequences has he had for his thoughts? His actions? His speech? He got hired by MSNBC, and even with his latest book and "End of White America", he's still on their payroll as of this post. Will he be shunned? No. Will he be pushed aside? No. Will he be made irrelevant? Of course not. Why?
Because too many people believe the same thing as him. And too many people with a lot of money believe the same thing as him. Why do you think he keeps showing up on Fox News and MSNBC?
Him voicing these opinions stirs up the Republican base. And a stirred up, ignorant, racist Republican base helps gets votes.
When I used to teach social studies, I taught my students about the first amendment and freedom of speech. The main lesson concept was essentially...
You can say what you want, but you have to face the consequences of your speech.
Well apparently I was wrong. Apparently there's no consequences for being a racist, ignorant, slimeball your entire life.
Let's not pretend that Pat Buchanan and his beliefs are an outlier either. For the GOP and their base, these beliefs are common and have been around since the end of the civil war. At least now, they're starting to just explicitly say it. And Buchanan has been explicit about it his entire life.
But now Gingrich is saying it too...
And Santorum is saying it...
And Perry is saying it...
And Bachmann is saying it...
Even Ron Paul is saying it...
This is why I will NEVER vote for the GOP.
I will NEVER vote for racism, homophobia, theocracy, sexism, anti-semitism, and ignorance.